When choosing assisted living care, consumers are reliant on their state’s regulatory agencies to provide information about communities and their backgrounds. Public access to assisted living records varies greatly state by state. Here is a snapshot of the level of transparency in the state of Illinois:
- Illinois was marked down somewhat in our rankings because it does not provide inspection reports online.
- Illinois has below average openness and accessibility of assisted living information.
HOW TO ACCESS RECORDS
- For a simple list of licensed providers, visit the licensed establishments list.
- Visit Illinois’ Information Reports on Long-Term Care Facilities to find information about the backgrounds of communities. This information is self-reported by the communities and is not a database of survey reports or inspections.
- You can also visit the US Administration on Aging’s Eldercare Locator to located the appropriate long-term-care ombudsman. The long-term care ombudsman can often provide specific information about communities and their backgrounds.
- If you need to make a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to get records, consider browsing the state-by-state resources from the National Freedom of Information Coalition, which includes sample state-specific FOIA letters.
Illinois Accessibility Criteria
Our ratings are based on the objective criteria outlined in the table below.
SELECT ANOTHER STATE
|1||Are licensed assisted living communities listed online in any form?||Yes|
|2||If Yes to #1, is the information updated frequently?||No|
|3||If Yes to #1, is the list of licensed communities searchable?||Yes|
|4||Does the state post inspections, complaints, survey results, or violations online?||No|
|5||If Yes to #4, is the information updated frequently? [within 90 days]||No or N/A|
|6||If Yes to #2 and #4, is the enforcement information included in the same place as licensed communities?||No or N/A|
|7||If Yes to #4 and No to #6, are violations / inspections searchable at all?||No|
|8||Is information about special licensing for care shown?||Yes|
|10||Payment types shown, [e.g. Medicaid, private pay]?||No|
|11||Administrator / Contact name shown?||No|
|12||State may fine facility?||Yes|
|13||Frequency of inspections?||Every 12 months|
|14||Website includes pricing of facility?||No|