When choosing assisted living care, consumers are reliant on their state’s regulatory agencies to provide information about communities and their backgrounds. Public access to assisted living records varies greatly state by state. Here is a snapshot of the level of transparency in the state of Texas:
- Texas has a robust database that is searchable by city, county, and zip code.
- Texas’ state website lists the number of substantiated complaints dating back three years, and provides access to specifics of investigations and inspections occurring within the last year.
- Texas has fallen recently in ranking due to the database not receiving an update in some time.
HOW TO ACCESS RECORDS
- Visit the Texas DADS website dedicated to long-term care: Long-term Care Provider Search.
- Where prompted, enter the city, county, or zip code of the community or area you are researching.
- Go to the results all assisted living communities unless you already know the licensing type of the community or communities you are researching.
- Type B assisted living communities are able to offer care to residents with limited mobility or memory loss.
- For more recently updated licensing information, visit the Assisted Living Facilities page.
Texas Accessibility Criteria
Our ratings are based on the objective criteria outlined in the table below.
SELECT ANOTHER STATE
|1||Are licensed assisted living communities listed online in any form?||Yes|
|2||If Yes to #1, is the information updated frequently?||Yes|
|3||If Yes to #1, is the list of licensed communities searchable?||Yes|
|4||Does the state post inspections, complaints, survey results, or violations online?||Yes|
|5||If Yes to #4, is the information updated frequently? [within 90 days]||No|
|6||If Yes to #2 and #4, is the enforcement information included in the same place as licensed communities?||No|
|7||If Yes to #4 and No to #6, are violations / inspections searchable at all?||No|
|8||Is information about special licensing for care shown?||No or N/A|
|10||Payment types shown, [e.g. Medicaid, private pay]?||Yes|
|11||Administrator / Contact name shown?||Yes|
|12||State may fine facility?||Yes|
|13||Frequency of inspections?||Every 24 months|
|14||Website includes pricing of facility?||No|