When choosing assisted living care, consumers are reliant on their state’s regulatory agencies to provide information about communities and their backgrounds. Public access to assisted living records varies greatly state by state. Here is a snapshot of the level of transparency in the state of South Carolina:
- South Carolina was marked down somewhat in our rankings because it does not provide a searchable database of licensed assisted living communities.
- South Carolina only requires mandatory inspections of assisted living communities every two years.
HOW TO ACCESS RECORDS
- Visit South Carolina’s Licensed Facilities by Type page to search for licensed communities.
- South Carolina also maintains a second website with sanctions information and a third website with inspections reports.
- You can compare the status of nursing homes in your area by using Medicare’s Nursing Home Compare tool.
- You can request the status of Assisted Living Facilities by contacting the health licensing office at the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC).
Update: January 2018
South Carolina Accessibility Criteria
Our ratings are based on the objective criteria outlined in the table below.
SELECT ANOTHER STATE
|1||Are licensed assisted living communities listed online in any form?||Yes|
|2||If Yes to #1, is the information updated frequently?||Yes|
|3||If Yes to #1, is the list of licensed communities searchable?||No|
|4||Does the state post inspections, complaints, survey results, or violations online?||No|
|5||If Yes to #4, is the information updated frequently? [within 90 days]||No|
|6||If Yes to #2 and #4, is the enforcement information included in the same place as licensed communities?||No or N/A|
|7||If Yes to #4 and No to #6, are violations / inspections searchable at all?||Yes|
|8||Is information about special licensing for care shown?||Yes|
|10||Payment types shown, [e.g. Medicaid, private pay]?||No|
|11||Administrator / Contact name shown?||Yes|
|12||State may fine facility?||Yes|
|13||Frequency of inspections?||Every 24 months|
|14||Website includes pricing of facility?||No|