When choosing assisted living care, consumers are reliant on their state’s regulatory agencies to provide information about communities and their backgrounds. Public access to assisted living records varies greatly state by state. Here is a snapshot of the level of transparency in the state of Minnesota:
- Minnesota’s records are generally transparent but the state slipped somewhat in our rankings because some information about communities is limited. (For example, community capacity is not available.)
- Information about providers on the Department of Health website is refreshed daily, although a comprehensive list of licensed providers is only published annually.
TIPS FOR FAMILIES
- Use Minnesota’s Health Care Facility and Provider Database to find an up to date list of licensed providers.
- For provider type select “housing with services,” which is the licensing type for assisted living communities.
- To find substantiated complaints against communities, use the Complaint Information Database and make sure to choose “supervised living facilities” as the provider type.
Minnesota Accessibility Criteria
Our ratings are based on the objective criteria outlined in the table below.
SELECT ANOTHER STATE
|1||Are licensed assisted living communities listed online in any form?||Yes|
|2||If Yes to #1, is the information updated frequently?||Yes|
|3||If Yes to #1, is the list of licensed communities searchable?||Yes|
|4||Does the state post inspections, complaints, survey results, or violations online?||Yes|
|5||If Yes to #4, is the information updated frequently? [within 90 days]||Yes|
|6||If Yes to #2 and #4, is the enforcement information included in the same place as licensed communities?||No|
|7||If Yes to #4 and No to #6, are violations / inspections searchable at all?||Yes|
|8||Is information about special licensing for care shown?||Yes|
|10||Payment types shown, [e.g. Medicaid, private pay]?||No|
|11||Administrator / Contact name shown?||Yes|
|12||State may fine facility?||No|
|13||Frequency of inspections?||Every 12 months|
|14||Website includes pricing of facility?||No|