When choosing assisted living care, consumers are reliant on their state’s regulatory agencies to provide information about communities and their backgrounds. Public access to assisted living records varies greatly state by state. Here is a snapshot of the level of transparency in the state of Maine:
- Maine has a good search form for finding licensed communities and information about them, but was marked down significantly because it does not make information about inspections and violations available online.
- Maine conducts inspections of communities on at least an annual basis.
HOW TO ACCESS RECORDS
- Visit Maine’s Regulatory Licensing and Permitting website to find a listing of licensed providers.
- Visit the US Administration on Aging’s Eldercare Locator to locate the appropriate long-term-care ombudsman who can often provide specific information about communities and their backgrounds.
- If you need to make a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to get records, consider browsing the state-by-state resources from the National Freedom of Information Coalition, which includes sample state-specific FOIA letters.
Update: January 2018
Maine Accessibility Criteria
Our ratings are based on the objective criteria outlined in the table below.
SELECT ANOTHER STATE
|1||Are licensed assisted living communities listed online in any form?||Yes|
|2||If Yes to #1, is the information updated frequently?||Yes|
|3||If Yes to #1, is the list of licensed communities searchable?||Yes|
|4||Does the state post inspections, complaints, survey results, or violations online?||No|
|5||If Yes to #4, is the information updated frequently? [within 90 days]||No or N/A|
|6||If Yes to #2 and #4, is the enforcement information included in the same place as licensed communities?||No or N/A|
|7||If Yes to #4 and No to #6, are violations / inspections searchable at all?||No|
|8||Is information about special licensing for care shown?||Yes|
|10||Payment types shown, [e.g. Medicaid, private pay]?||Yes|
|11||Administrator / Contact name shown?||Yes|
|12||State may fine facility?||Yes|
|13||Frequency of inspections?||Every 24 months|
|14||Website includes pricing of facility?||No|