Senior Nutrition Recipe: Lentils and Rice
A Place for Mom Senior Nutrition Expert and licensed Naturopathic Physician, Dr. Lindsay Jones-Born, shares one of her favorite recipes that offers not only a quick and tasty meal, but also offers a nutritious meal for seniors.
Naturopathic Physician Recommended Lunch or Dinner for Seniors
According to Dr. Lindsay, “This dish is rich in folic acid and can be made for a quick and easy lunch or dinner.” With some hearty vegetables and just the right amount of seasoning, seniors can enjoy some healthy comfort food.
- ½ cup red lentils (rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup frozen brown rice
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 TBS minced fresh ginger
- 1 TBS ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 TBS olive oil
- Boil 1 cup water and add lentils. Cover and simmer about 20-30 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
- Cook brown rice according to directions and set aside.
- Heat separate pan, add olive oil.
- Add garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, onion and spinach. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Add cooked lentils into pan and mix with spices and veggies.
- Serve over rice and add a dash of salt if needed.
Read Dr. Lindsay Jones-Born’s blog post, “Why Seniors Have Different Nutritional Needs.“
Category: Senior Nutrition
About the Author
Dana Larsen is a senior living writer at A Place for Mom, the nation’s largest senior care referral service. A Place for Mom helps more than 200,000 families each year find the best assisted living and memory care facilities for their needs and budget across the United States.
Dana is mother to a zealous, bright-eyed little boy and caregiver to a vivacious and quirky 88-year-old grandmother. Her passions include dancing, yoga, traveling, good food and the arts. She graduated with honors from University of Washington with a degree in English and Communications and achieved Technical Communications Certification from Bellevue College. View Dana’s Google Profile.
To contact a Senior Living Advisor regarding senior care options, visit www.aplaceformom.com, or call 1-877-311-6099.
Address I 1300 Dexter Avenue North, Suite 400, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Email I email@example.com
Read more about Dana Larsen.