When choosing assisted living care, consumers are reliant on their state’s regulatory agencies to provide information about communities and their backgrounds. Public access to assisted living records varies greatly state by state. Here is a snapshot of the level of transparency in the state of Rhode Island:
- Rhode Island has increased in rating due to their updated website allowing for increased transparency. For example, capacity size and administrator names are now listed with licensing information.
- Rhode Island only requires mandatory inspections of assisted living communities every two years.
HOW TO ACCESS RECORDS
- Visit the Rhode Island Department of Health Online Verification and Complaint Submission Site for a searchable listing of providers.
- Contact the Rhode Island Department of Elderly Affairs directly to find out about the backgrounds of providers.
- If you need to make a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to get records, consider browsing these state-by-state resources from theNational Freedom of Information Coalition, which included sample state-specific FOIA letters.
Update: January 2018
Rhode Island Accessibility Criteria
Our ratings are based on the objective criteria outlined in the table below.
SELECT ANOTHER STATE
|1||Are licensed assisted living communities listed online in any form?||Yes|
|2||If Yes to #1, is the information updated frequently?||Yes|
|3||If Yes to #1, is the list of licensed communities searchable?||Yes|
|4||Does the state post inspections, complaints, survey results, or violations online?||Yes|
|5||If Yes to #4, is the information updated frequently? [within 90 days]||Yes|
|6||If Yes to #2 and #4, is the enforcement information included in the same place as licensed communities?||No|
|7||If Yes to #4 and No to #6, are violations / inspections searchable at all?||No|
|8||Is information about special licensing for care shown?||No or N/A|
|10||Payment types shown, [e.g. Medicaid, private pay]?||No|
|11||Administrator / Contact name shown?||Yes|
|12||State may fine facility?||No|
|13||Frequency of inspections?||Every 24 months|
|14||Website includes pricing of facility?||No|