When choosing assisted living care, consumers are reliant on their state’s regulatory agencies to provide information about communities and their backgrounds. Public access to assisted living records varies greatly state by state. Here is a snapshot of the level of transparency in New York State:
- New York has dramatically increased in transparency and accessibility due to their new NYS Adult Care Facility Profiles page being a searchable database of licensed assisted living communities.
- New York has had increase in frequency of inspections as inspections now occur on an annual basis.
HOW TO ACCESS RECORDS
- View the state’s “Do Not Refer” list for communities to definitely avoid.
- Visit New York’s NYS Adult Care Facility Profiles to search for information about assisted living facilities in New York. Unfortunately, the state only lists the citations found in the inspections and does not make the survey viewable online. An Open Record Request will need to be made to view the surveys in their entirety.
- View the state’s Adult Care page for a directory of communities.
- Visit the US Administration on Aging’s Eldercare Locator to locate the appropriate long-term-care ombudsman who can often provide specific information about communities and their backgrounds.
New York Accessibility Criteria
Our ratings are based on the objective criteria outlined in the table below.
SELECT ANOTHER STATE
|1||Are licensed assisted living communities listed online in any form?||Yes|
|2||If Yes to #1, is the information updated frequently?||Yes|
|3||If Yes to #1, is the list of licensed communities searchable?||Yes|
|4||Does the state post inspections, complaints, survey results, or violations online?||Yes|
|5||If Yes to #4, is the information updated frequently? [within 90 days]||Yes|
|6||If Yes to #2 and #4, is the enforcement information included in the same place as licensed communities?||No|
|7||If Yes to #4 and No to #6, are violations / inspections searchable at all?||No|
|8||Is information about special licensing for care shown?||Yes|
|10||Payment types shown, [e.g. Medicaid, private pay]?||No|
|11||Administrator / Contact name shown?||No|
|12||State may fine facility?||Yes|
|13||Frequency of inspections?||Every 12 months|
|14||Website includes pricing of facility?||No|