When choosing assisted living care, consumers are reliant on their state’s regulatory agencies to provide information about communities and their backgrounds. Public access to assisted living records varies greatly state by state. Here is a snapshot of the level of transparency in the state of Massachusetts:
- As of writing, it is unknown whether the Massachusetts residency list was recently updated as there is no published date available.
- Massachusetts does not post surveys or inspection reports of assisted living facilities online, so a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request is necessary to obtain records.
TIPS FOR FAMILIES
- Visit the Massachusetts Office of Elder Affairs for information about senior care licensing.
- As of writing, to request a copy of an inspection report or a copy of any complaints, fax the Executive Office of Elder Affairs at 617-727-9368.
- If you need to make a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to get records, you can visit the state by state resources from the National Freedom of Information Coalition, which includes sample state-specific FOIA letters.
Update: January 2018
Massachusetts Accessibility Criteria
Our ratings are based on the objective criteria outlined in the table below.
SELECT ANOTHER STATE
|1||Are licensed assisted living communities listed online in any form?||Yes|
|2||If Yes to #1, is the information updated frequently?||No|
|3||If Yes to #1, is the list of licensed communities searchable?||No|
|4||Does the state post inspections, complaints, survey results, or violations online?||No|
|5||If Yes to #4, is the information updated frequently? [within 90 days]||No or N/A|
|6||If Yes to #2 and #4, is the enforcement information included in the same place as licensed communities?||No or N/A|
|7||If Yes to #4 and No to #6, are violations / inspections searchable at all?||No|
|8||Is information about special licensing for care shown?||No or N/A|
|10||Payment types shown, [e.g. Medicaid, private pay]?||No|
|11||Administrator / Contact name shown?||No|
|12||State may fine facility?||Yes|
|13||Frequency of inspections?||Every 24 months|
|14||Website includes pricing of facility?||No|