When choosing assisted living care, consumers are reliant on their state’s regulatory agencies to provide information about communities and their backgrounds. But public access to assisted living records varies greatly state by state. Here is a snapshot of the level of transparency in the state of Mississippi:
- Mississippi does not make information about inspections, violations and complaints available online.
- Mississippi is in the lowest quartile for assisted living transparency.
HOW TO ACCESS RECORDS
- Visit the website of Mississippi’s Department of Human Services for basic information.
- Contact the office of your local long-term care ombudsman to see if he or she can provide information about a community your are exploring.
- Visit the US Administration on Aging’s Eldercare Locator to locate the appropriate long-term-care ombudsman.
- If you do need to make a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to get records, consider browsing these state-by-state resources from the National Freedom of Information Coalition.
Mississippi Accessibility Criteria
Our ratings are based on the objective criteria outlined in the table below.
SELECT ANOTHER STATE
|1||Are licensed assisted living communities listed online in any form?||Yes|
|2||If Yes to #1, is the information updated frequently?||No|
|3||If Yes to #1, is the list of licensed communities searchable?||No|
|4||Does the state post inspections, complaints, survey results, or violations online?||No|
|5||If Yes to #4, is the information updated frequently? [within 90 days]||No or N/A|
|6||If Yes to #2 and #4, is the enforcement information included in the same place as licensed communities?||No or N/A|
|7||If Yes to #4 and No to #6, are violations / inspections searchable at all?||No|
|8||Is information about special licensing for care shown?||Yes|
|10||Payment types shown, [e.g. Medicaid, private pay]?||No|
|11||Administrator / Contact name shown?||Yes|
|12||State may fine facility?||Yes|
|13||Frequency of inspections?||Every 24 months|
|14||Website includes pricing of facility?||No|