Senior Nutrition Recipe: Lentils and Rice
A Place for Mom Senior Nutrition Expert and licensed Naturopathic Physician, Dr. Lindsay Jones-Born, shares one of her favorite recipes that offers not only a quick and tasty meal, but also offers a nutritious meal for seniors.
Naturopathic Physician Recommended Lunch or Dinner for Seniors
According to Dr. Lindsay, “This dish is rich in folic acid and can be made for a quick and easy lunch or dinner.” With some hearty vegetables and just the right amount of seasoning, seniors can enjoy some healthy comfort food.
- ½ cup red lentils (rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup frozen brown rice
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 TBS minced fresh ginger
- 1 TBS ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 TBS olive oil
- Boil 1 cup water and add lentils. Cover and simmer about 20-30 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
- Cook brown rice according to directions and set aside.
- Heat separate pan, add olive oil.
- Add garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, onion and spinach. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Add cooked lentils into pan and mix with spices and veggies.
- Serve over rice and add a dash of salt if needed.
Read Dr. Lindsay Jones-Born’s blog post, “Why Seniors Have Different Nutritional Needs.“
We Can Help! Our local advisors can help your family make a confident decision about senior living.