Senior Nutrition Recipe: A Perfect Baked Potato
Want a healthy, easy-to-make recipe that’s good for seniors? A Place for Mom’s Senior Nutrition Expert and licensed Naturopathic Physician, Dr. Lindsay Jones-Born recommends this tasty baked potato that’s loaded with Vitamin C.
Naturopathic Physician Recommended Lunch or Dinner for Seniors
‘Tis the season of comfort food. And what’s easier than a stuffed baked potato topped with assorted veggies to deliver a nutritious, yet, enjoyable experience to the senior palette? Dr. Lindsay comments, “A baked potato with all these toppings will be a yummy meal providing seniors with lots of vitamin C.”
- 1 medium Russet potato
- ½ cup frozen broccoli
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 pinch of ground pepper
*Optional: Additional veggies, kidney beans, cheese, seasonings or anything else that can satisfy your loved one’s taste buds.
- Pre-heat the oven to 425°F
- Rub potato with olive oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Prick potato several times with the tines of a fork.
- Lay the potato directly on the middle oven rack and cook for 45-60 minutes.
- Lightly steam the broccoli and red bell pepper.
- When potato is tender; remove from oven.
- Slice the potato skin and press the potato open; place the steamed broccoli and red bell pepper on top. Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese and serve.
Read Dr. Lindsay Jones-Born’s blog post, “Why Seniors Have Different Nutritional Needs.“
We Can Help! Our local advisors can help your family make a confident decision about senior living.