Learn More About Nursing Homes in Corpus Christi, TX
Along the Gulf Coast of South Texas, Corpus Christi offers all the conveniences and attractions of a modern metropolitan area with pockets of suburbia mixed throughout. Residents celebrate the city’s diverse culture and unique history through its many festivals and museums, like the Selena Memorial-Mirador De La Flor. With white sandy beaches and wildlife areas such as the Oso Bay Wetlands Preserve, Corpus Christi’s coastal location also offers plenty of opportunities for fishing, sailing, and countless other outdoor activities.
Nursing homes — also called convalescent homes or skilled nursing facilities — in Corpus Christi are intended for seniors who require 24-hour monitoring and medical assistance. These communities are designed to promote independence among seniors who require constant nursing care to perform activities of daily living (ADLs), but do not require hospital-level care.
Cost of Nursing Homes in Corpus Christi, TX
The median monthly cost of a private nursing home room in 2020 was about $8,200 in the Corpus Christi area and $6,400 in the state of Texas, according to Genworth.
Learn More About Corpus Christi, TX
Cost of Living
The total household expenses associated with living in Corpus Christi are rated nine points below the national average. Grocery and other essential costs are also rated below the average.
All index scores are based on a scale that has the national average set at 100. A score of 200 indicates that the cost is twice as expensive as the national average, while a score of 50 indicates that the cost is half as expensive.
Income and Housing
|Median Income Age 45-64
||Median Income Age 65+
||Median Household Income
||Average Individual Income
||Median Employee Salary
||Average Property Tax
||One-bedroom Apartment Gross Rent Estimate
|$64,318 per year
||$39,906 per year
||$54,835 per year
||$26,948 per year
||$44,772 per year
||$3,855 per year
||$790 per month
The top hospitals that service Corpus Christi include:
Christus Spohn Hospital Corpus Christi
- Facility type: faith-based, short-term acute care
- Bed count: 560+
- Specialties: emergency care, ICU, joint replacement
South Texas Surgical Hospital
- Facility type: proprietary, short-term acute care
- Bed count: 30+
- Specialties: emergency care, physical therapy, spine surgery
Weather and Climate
Corpus Christi’s climate is classified as humid subtropical, which means the city experiences hot, humid summers and short, mild winters. The average humidity level is 74%, and humidity levels are often highest during May at about 76%.
- Relative Air Quality Index: 77
This index is based on a scale that has the national average set at 100. A score of 200 indicates twice the presence of air pollutants than the national average, while a score of 50 indicates half the presence.
- Average annual precipitation: 33″
Demographics and Values
||Percent of Population Over 65
||Average Household Size
||1,943 per square mile
Race & Ethnicity
|American Indian or Alaskan Native
||Hispanic or Latino
||Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander
||Two or More Races
||White (not Hispanic or Latino)
These figures were taken from the most recent U.S. Census.
These scores were taken from the 2019 Human Rights Campaign’s Municipal Equality Index.
- Non-discrimination laws in Corpus Christi: 0/30
- Overall inclusivity: 48/100
2016 Presidential Election Results for Nueces County
Arts, Culture, Entertainment, and Recreation
Some of the most popular museums and historic sites in Corpus Christi include:
- Art Museum of South Texas, The Art Center of Corpus Christi, Texas Surf Museum
- USS Lexington Museum on the Bay, Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History
- Corpus Christi Downtown Seawall, Selena Memorial-Mirador De La Flor, Selena Museum
Outdoor attractions in Corpus Christi:
- Swantner Park, West Guth Park, Cole Park
- Pollywog Pond Bird & Wildlife Sanctuary
- South Texas Botanical Gardens and Nature Center, Oso Bay Wetlands Preserve
- Texas State Aquarium
Corpus Christi’s top entertainment destinations and shopping districts are:
- Alamo Drafthouse Cinema Corpus Christi, Concrete Street Amphitheater
- Outdoor Summer Movies, Fiesta De La Flor, Buc Days
- La Palmera, Woodlawn Plaza, Parkdale Plaza
Corpus Christi Regional Transportation Authority offers intra-city bus transportation and discounted fares to senior citizens. Taxis and rideshare services, like Uber and Lyft, are also available in Corpus Christi.