Learn More About Personal Care Homes in Rochester, NY
Residential care homes — sometimes called care homes, board and care homes, group homes, or personal care homes — are often houses in residential neighborhoods that are adapted, equipped, and staffed to care for a small number of residents, usually 10 or less. Similar to assisted living but in a smaller, more residential setting, these homes provide supervision, organized events, and assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs). This means care homes can help with everyday routines but typically do not provide 24-hour skilled nursing assistance.
Cost of Personal Care Homes in Rochester, NY
In the state of New York, the median monthly cost of a room in a care home is about $3,000. However, the cost of living in a care home depends largely on location. Since the homes are private residences, costs are tied to real estate value and therefore may vary greatly.
A Place for Mom’s local Senior Living Advisors can help find the right residential care home in Rochester for you or your loved one.
Learn More About Rochester, NY
Cost of Living
Rochester is quite affordable, especially when compared to New York City. Overall, the cost of living index is rated 22 points lower than the national average of 100. The grocery cost index is also slightly below the national average of 100, and the city has a sales tax that is below 5%.
||Median home value
||Median family income
||Top estate tax rate is 16 with an exemption threshold of $5.749 million
Proximity to high quality medical facilities is a common factor in many seniors’ choices when deciding on an assisted living facility. As home-state to one of the country’s most populous cities, New York has a large number of world-renowned hospitals and medical centers, including highly rated facilities such as:
- Mount Sinai Hospital – Founded in 1852, Mount Sinai is one of the longest running hospitals in the country. The entire system has over 7,000 physicians and 3,815 staffed beds. Consistently ranked as one of the top hospitals in the country, the hospital is one of the top performing in the country for cardiovascular and diabetes care.
- NYU Langone Medical Center – This teaching hospital is affiliated with New York University and the New York School of Medicine. They operate a number of different hospitals and facilities and are consistently ranked one of the top hospitals in the country.
- Tisch Hospital – A 725 bed acute care tertiary hospital, the facility is recognized by the joint commission for excellence in perinatal, palliative, stroke, and ventricular assist device or pacemaker care.
Weather and Climate
A region’s climate and air quality can have a great effect on the health and well-being of local residents. The climate of Rochester is varied, consisting of a continental climate with hot, humid summers and cold winters.
|Average summer temp
||Typical summer high
||Typical summer low
||Average winter temp
||Typical winter high
||Typical winter low
|Average air quality index rating
||Average maximum air quality index rating
Moderate conditions mean that those who are sensitive to particulates in the air should consider limiting the amount of time they spend on outdoor exertion.
Demographics and Values
2016 Presidential Election in Rochester
||Voted Third Party
Race & Ethnicity
||Two or more
||Other or Not Specified
Arts, Culture, Entertainment, and Recreation
Rochester is a place where you can live relatively easily while having access to one of the world’s greatest cultural hubs (NYC) just a few hours away. Within a short walk, one can find countless wineries, breweries, galleries, and theaters, as well as beautiful outdoor parks and restaurants to fit every taste and budget. Some notable destinations include:
- George Eastman Museum
- Kodak Center
- Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra
- Roberts Cultural Life Center
Rochester is serviced by a countywide bus system that has 54 routes inside and 35 routes outside of Monroe County. The town can be traversed easily by bus and the Rochester-Genesee Regional Transportation Authority offers van services for disabled and elderly riders.