Commonwealth Memory Care at Chesapeake
130 Great Bridge Boulevard Chesapeake VA 23320
Memory Care in Chesapeake, VA
At Commonwealth Memory Care at Chesapeake, “We Listen, We Love, We Care, We Serve.” Although these may be simple words, we’re committed to their deeper meaning each day — for both our residents and their families.
Our highly specialized and free-standing memory care is located in Chesapeake, VA, only 7 miles from Norfolk and 60 miles from Williamsburg. We think your loved one will feel at home in our private or semi-private suite options and beautifully decorated common spaces. Our outdoor courtyard and sitting areas provide the perfect setting to spend time in the fresh air and sunshine.
Whether your loved one needs help with bathing, getting dressed or other daily activities, we’re here. We appreciate and respect their privacy, yet we reassure you that someone is always available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can relax knowing our specially trained and compassionate team of caregivers are on-site and ready to respond to any assistance that might be required. We also take care of all the housekeeping services and maintenance.
A Vibrant, Engaging Lifestyle
By practicing person-centered care, we tailor our services to your loved one’s individualized needs. We encourage our residents to engage with life at their own pace, and we support that by offering a chance to share delicious meals through our award-winning Farm-to-Table and Today from the Bay dining programs, experience different cultures and lifestyles with our Travel the World program or simply have a meaningful conversation in one of our beautiful outdoor sitting areas. You’ll also discover there really can be more hours in a day when you live here — because we take care of all the maintenance and housekeeping services so your time is truly your own.
Our whole-person approach to senior living extends to our award-winning Sweet Memories programs that have been proven to elevate care and enhance the experience of our residents living with Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia. Our signature memory care programs blend a warm, homelike environment with the personalized care of compassionate caregivers, familiar routines and staff, and engaging programs and activities that provide our residents with the best experiences.
Our close-knit community is located in the heart of Chesapeake, just off Great Bridge Blvd. We’re also only 22 miles away from Virginia Beach if your loved one would enjoy spending time near the water. If sightseeing might be a pleasure, the Great Dismal Swamp National Wildlife Refuge, the American Theatre and the NorVa performance venue are nearby. Although we offer a physician staffed Wellness Clinic on-site, we also have easy access to major regional medical facilities if additional care is ever needed.
Come see all that we have to offer your loved one at Commonwealth Memory Care at Chesapeake. Please call to schedule a personal tour today!
Levels of Care
Sweet Memories™ at Commonwealth Memory Care at Chesapeake
At Commonwealth Memory Care at Chesapeake, we believe that people with Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia have very unique needs that deserve very unique care. Our Sweet Memories™ program was designed to meet those needs and deliver that care, both today and in the future.
It all starts with our team of dedicated caregivers. Certified in Virtual Dementia Tour® training, our team members have a very personal and thorough understanding of the challenges presented by Alzheimer’s disease or another form of dementia.
Award-Winning Care • Sweet Memories™
Commonwealth’s Sweet Memories™ memory care program has been created to deliver the most exceptional care and lifestyle to our residents living with Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia.
From the welcoming, homey feeling of our memory care neighborhoods to the experience of our management team, everything in our program has been carefully chosen to deliver the best memory care experience possible.
Understanding that each person in our care has different needs, Sweet Memories™ takes a resident-centered approach. By developing a personalized care plan, we can provide support that not only meets needs, but also promotes abilities and independence.Program Components
Sweet Memories™ consists of three primary components to ensure an exceptional memory care experience.
- Move-in: From physical to emotional needs, we guide our residents through every step of the transition to our community, whether from home or hospital.
- Evaluation through life history: We get to know each resident personally. We conduct a comprehensive interview with family members. We talk. We ask questions. We listen. We get to know our residents as people. We learn about their medical, mental, emotional, spiritual and intellectual needs, as well as their habits and preferences.
- Resident-centered care plan: With this very personal knowledge, our leadership team creates a customized care plan to meet the specific needs of the resident.
Unique and effective, our signature Sweet Memories™ programs make a tremendous difference in the lives of our residents and their families.
One Sweet Memory: Winner of the Best Practice Award from the Virginia Assisted Living Association (VALA), for going above and beyond the standards of care. Our team members regularly capture highlights of each resident’s day in photographs that are shared regularly with family members.
Expressions: When verbal skills begin to fail, art can become a means of self-expression for residents. Conversational prompting stimulates memories which residents can interpret using a variety of mediums, including painting.
Special Touch: Designed specifically for those with late-stage memory loss, this program provides “special touches” that make a difference in care. In the morning, before breakfast, residents enjoy citrus scented towels to awaken taste buds; before dinner, lavender scented towels help to relax, reinforce the natural circadian rhythm and encourage residents to enjoy their meals.
Sweet Melodies: For those with latter stage dementia who have lost verbal skills, Sweet Melodies stirs memories by using nostalgic music selected by family members.
SMILE™ Technology: Through SMILE™, we can remain connected to your loved one every day. This computer program enables us to keep you updated on your loved one’s participation in and enjoyment of our programming, sharing photos and stories with you on a daily basis.
Memory Care Life Stations: Thoughtful spaces invite your loved one to reconnect and engage with past hobbies, professions and passions.Sweet Memories™ Services & Amenities:
- Healthy, family-style dining options that meet dining skill levels and nutritional needs
- Regularly activity schedules that stimulate the mind and body, as well as customized socialization programs designed to fit the cognitive, social and mental skills of the resident
- Open and secure outdoor spaces such as courtyards and gardens
- Monthly support group meetings for families
- Private or companion suites with private baths
- Personal care services
- Medication management
- Weekly housekeeping/linens
- 24-hour staffing
- Open-door policy that encourages 24-hour visitation
- Monthly family night dinners
- Sweet Memories™ programming
- Community newsletter
It is our pleasure and purpose to ensure that our residents’ lives are as peaceful, comforting and uplifting as possible.
- Private and semi-private suite options
- Full bathrooms with safety features
- Warmly decorated elegant common areas
- Elegantly landscaped outdoor courtyard
- Emergency call response systems in every suite
- Monitored fire and safety systems
- Television and media library areas
- Elegant dining rooms
- Full-service hair salon and barber shop
- Free transportation for all activities, events, and doctor appointments
- Individually controlled heating and cooling in each suite
- All utilities included (except telephone and cable TV)
- Family and guest meals available
- Free residential parking areas available
- Full library with large print books
There’s always something to celebrate at Commonwealth, and our residents and staff do it in style. Whether feeling the joy of movement in our daily fitness classes or showing off adorable costumed grandchildren at our Halloween party, seniors can revel in what makes life great at any age: living your passions and sharing moments with people you love.
A sampling of our activities include:
- Health and wellness learning
- Diverse social activities
- Daily exercise programs
- Group community excursions
- Intergenerational activities
- Lifelong learning activities
- Community volunteer activities
- Multi-faith spiritual worship
- Computer skills technology
- Musical and artistic activities
Pricing at Commonwealth Memory Care at Chesapeake
*Prices quoted are monthly rental charges and are provided by the communities themselves. Actual prices may differ due to one-time fees, timing and care services required. Speak with your Senior Living Advisor to learn more.
Reviews of Commonwealth Memory Care at Chesapeake
Community Details at Commonwealth Memory Care at Chesapeake
Senior Housing Types Provided at Commonwealth Memory Care at Chesapeake
The features and amenities that are displayed on this page contain marketing information provided by the community. A Place for Mom has not confirmed the completeness of the provided information, and cannot guarantee its accuracy.
To conduct a complete investigation, seniors and their families should:
- Tour any listed location to confirm the accuracy of the community description;
- Confirm that the community offers services that are required for the senior’s specific needs and budget; and
- Check additional licensing and state audit information.
If you become aware of any information that should be updated or noted, please contact A Place for Mom.