When choosing assisted living care, consumers are reliant on their state’s regulatory agencies to provide information about communities and their backgrounds. Public access to assisted living records varies greatly state by state. Here is a snapshot of the level of transparency in the state of New Jersey:
- New Jersey has a functional if inelegant website for finding assisted living records and histories. However, the website receives regular updates without very many lulls between updates
HOW TO ACCESS RECORDS
- Visit New Jersey’s site to Search Licensed Facilities and Services.
- Select “long term care” facilities and services.
- Select preferred search method (for example, name of community) and for care type select “assisted living residences.”
- From the results page, click a providers name to access detailed information including inspections reports and deficiency citations.
- For more recent information about specific communities, contact the office of the long-term care ombudsman to see if he or she can provide information about a community you are exploring.
- Visit www.eldercare.gov to locate the appropriate long-term-care ombudsman.
- If you need to make a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to get records, consider browsing these state by state resources from the National Freedom of Information Coalition, which included sample state-specific FOIA letters.
New Jersey Accessibility Criteria
Our ratings are based on the objective criteria outlined in the table below.
SELECT ANOTHER STATE
|1||Are licensed assisted living communities listed online in any form?||Yes|
|2||If Yes to #1, is the information updated frequently?||Yes|
|3||If Yes to #1, is the list of licensed communities searchable?||Yes|
|4||Does the state post inspections, complaints, survey results, or violations online?||Yes|
|5||If Yes to #4, is the information updated frequently? [within 90 days]||Yes|
|6||If Yes to #2 and #4, is the enforcement information included in the same place as licensed communities?||Yes|
|7||If Yes to #4 and No to #6, are violations / inspections searchable at all?||Yes or N/A|
|8||Is information about special licensing for care shown?||Yes|
|10||Payment types shown, [e.g. Medicaid, private pay]?||Yes|
|11||Administrator / Contact name shown?||Yes|
|12||State may fine facility?||Yes|
|13||Frequency of inspections?||Every 12 months|
|14||Website includes pricing of facility?||No|