When choosing assisted living care, consumers are reliant on their state’s regulatory agencies to provide information about communities and their backgrounds. Public access to assisted living records varies greatly state by state. Here is a snapshot of the level of transparency in the state of Maryland:
- Maryland is one of very few states to include information about the pricing of assisted living communities online.
- Maryland has one of the easiest to use and most attractive state websites for researching assisted living records. However, surveys for communities with less than 10 residents are not available.
HOW TO ACCESS RECORDS
- Visit Maryland’s Guide to Consumer Long Term Care to find a listing of licensed providers.
- A second database with additional community types is available at this state of Maryland website.
- Visit the US Administration on Aging’s Eldercare Locator to locate the appropriate long-term-care ombudsman who can often provide specific information about communities and their backgrounds.
- If you need to make a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to get records, consider browsing the state-by-state resources from the National Freedom of Information Coalition, which includes sample state-specific FOIA letters.
Maryland Accessibility Criteria
Our ratings are based on the objective criteria outlined in the table below.
SELECT ANOTHER STATE
|1||Are licensed assisted living communities listed online in any form?||Yes|
|2||If Yes to #1, is the information updated frequently?||Yes|
|3||If Yes to #1, is the list of licensed communities searchable?||Yes|
|4||Does the state post inspections, complaints, survey results, or violations online?||Yes|
|5||If Yes to #4, is the information updated frequently? [within 90 days]||Yes|
|6||If Yes to #2 and #4, is the enforcement information included in the same place as licensed communities?||No|
|Yes or N/A|
|8||Is information about special licensing for care shown?||Yes|
|10||Payment types shown, [e.g. Medicaid, private pay]?||No|
|11||Administrator / Contact name shown?||Yes|
|12||State may fine facility?||Yes|
|13||Frequency of inspections?||Every 15 months|
|14||Website includes pricing of facility?||Yes|