Ask a Question

How do I plan on moving my mother from Texas to Minnesota?

I am currently living in Texas and a recent college graduate. My mother got her permanent resident status on July 2016 but she has lived, paid taxes and worked in the United States and have been doing so since 1985. Two years ago she lost her job and last year she had a stroke. Now she can't function without someone helping her and she has only hold that status as a permanent resident for only 6 months. Texas Medicaid has denied her help. The reason is pretty much she hasn't been working (not living) as a permanent resident "long enough" She needed 40 work credits. She met the rest of the eligibility criteria but that one. She is pretty much doomed and not able to get any government assistance in Texas. I contacted the State health and human health services, the department of disability and aging, medicaid office, APS (adult protection services), social workers, I even contacted the state senate and I am running out of options. There isn't an alternative or solution for low income people / non-citizens that need 24 hour care but can't get Medicaid. My mother needs help doing everything. The only thing she can do is feed herself and talk but she tends to ramble. I can't take care of her. I am her only family member as there is no one else. I just graduated college and It is extremely stressfull to deal with this on my own. The nursing home that applied for medicaid for her kicked her out as she has no way of paying, she has been to two different hospitals and because she has no way of paying and cannot get medicaid, they are doing the same thing. There is a pressure from the case workers to discharge her to my care even though I told them that I can't. I tried and she ended up back in the hospital. I can't afford a full time caregiver and she deserves to be in a facility where she can get round the clock care that is equipped for that kind of thing.

My mother was laid off from her job 2014 and had used up her entire 401k just to keep herself going before she had her stroke. Now she has absolutely no income and her assets in total are below $2000. I did research on the states where their medicaid eligibility requirements for non-citizens are more lax and have more options for getting help and also looked into the quality of healthcare, and looked into states where there will be a likelihood of a healthcare program remaining in case medicaid happens to no longer exist. At the end, I came up with Minnesota. I spoke to the health and human services department from Minnesota and I know she'll met the requirement for non-citizens. Even though she had her permanent resident status since july of 2016 but the fact that she first arrived to the united states before 1996 and lived here continiously for the past 30+ years until she received her permanent status was taken to account in their eligiblity requirement. I don't know anyone that is in Minnesota but it is the closest state (from texas) that meets the criteria that I am looking for.

Do I meet with and elderlaw attorney that will help me plan this out? What do I need to do? I have already contacted nursing homes but that is all. I know she'll need to be a Minnesota resident in order to apply but how is that possible when she doesn't have a minnesota address. I live in Texas. I know it will be ideal for her to be in a nursing home in Minnesota while she awaits the medicaid decision but tha will require me to pay out of pocket and that will be extremely difficult. She can't stay in the hospital for long term so I am trying to find something as soon as I can but at the same time, I know it will be expensive and she has virtually no money. I can help out but I don't want it to the point where I will have to empty my savings account. Of course I will move to Minnesota with her but that will be later until my apartment lease comes up this fall. Is this even possible or beacuse of the lack of money it will not be possible? I am done with the state level side of things as there is no help. I know it is common for people to flee to another state for healthcare/medicaid related purposes.
Status: Open    Jan 25, 2017 - 07:40 AM

Elder Law

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 answer

Expert Answers

Jan 25, 2017 - 03:57 PM

I would recommend speaking with a local attorney. One question is "What happens to someone that doesn't have anyone to care for them?" The facilities can not put them on the street. You state that the reason your mother is not eligible is because she "pretty much needed to be a permanent resident". I would appeal the decision and request a fair hearing. You do not need to be an attorney to represent your mother but an experienced Medicaid/Medi-Cal attorney would be invaluable because the county won't be able to bamboozle them, they will know that regulations and won't allow it.
Comments (2) | New Comment

By beecave00 on Jan 26, 2017 - 08:20 AM | Like (0)  |  Report

Speak to a local elderlaw attorney? I mentioned that she is not eligible because she is a not a permanent resident with 40 work credits. She is a permanent resident but she doesn't have the work credits. I know she probably has missing credits but I am unable to obtain all the employers, check stubs and everything else to show enough proof to show that she is missing work credits other than a 1999 social security document that mentions she has enough credits to obtain benefits and a 1985 and 1986 tax documents.

By shirleyv03 on Jan 28, 2017 - 10:10 PM | Like (0)  |  Report

The elder and her adult child live in Texas, not California; there is no Medi-Cal in Texas and not much Medicaid either. Texas is a very "bad" state to be poor and not a citizen, even if granted permanent status. You have done a lot of research and if you think that MN is the right state to move to, then you should start looking for a job there so you can move as soon as possible, even if it means breaking your lease, which I know will cost you some money that you don't have to spare. I suggest if you are in any of the larger cities in Texas that you go to a Catholic Charities office and explain your problem. They have both doctors and lawyers that work with them to provide assistance to low-income persons, which your mother certainly is. They will help you regardless of whether or not you or your mother are Catholics and regardless of your mother's status. The hospital social worker should be able to give you information on how to contact the nearest Catholic Charities Office. Or if you want to post a reply stating the name of the city/town where you live, I'll be happy to post back with the information you need.

Add New Comment

Answer this question

Recently Active Members