Ask a Question

Is my mom eligible to receive VA benefits from my deceased dad?

I have his DD214 that I filed for, but I am not sure how to read or who to contact if she is eligible for any type of benefits. She is curently in a nursing facility, her Social Security is only $982 a month and the facility only leaves her $60 a month to live on. This does not cover any major medical treatment she has had the past 7 months, let alone doctor copays and any type of testing.
Status: Open    Dec 20, 2016 - 11:10 AM

VA Benefits

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 answer

Expert Answers

Dec 20, 2016 - 11:20 AM

It would depend on when he served and as long as they were not divorced prior to his death. I would get in touch with a Veteran Service Officer in your area to go over any potential benefits available to your mother. You can find a VSO near you through the VA's website at OGC - Accreditation Search Click on VSO Representative, Enter in the City and State and it will populate a list of people for you that you can contact. VSOs provide assistance free of charge to veterans and their dependents. Should you have any more questions please let me know.
Comments (8) | New Comment

By rmtnfrisco on Dec 20, 2016 - 11:59 AM | Like (0)  |  Report

They were not divorced, however I failed to ask, they were married after the fact of him serving, will that make a difference? Before his death, they were together around 52+ years.

By jmsrbrt on Jan 07, 2017 - 05:04 AM | Like (0)  |  Report

Your VSO Representative can answer that but I believe in this case it would not matter. The spouse of a serviceman (or woman) has to have been married for at least 10 years I believe, and (the big one) cannot have remarried.

By gailnpv on Jan 07, 2017 - 05:47 AM | Like (0)  |  Report

Veteran has to have served during war time...any war...still married at his death and not remarried prior to 1990 (i think that's the right date). I just filed for my mother. The benefit is $1149.00 per month. You can download the form - 21-534EZ from the VA website and it explains how and where to send it. Some questions need to be answered by her doctor. I was told to complete and send the need for attendance form 21-2680. The VA can take up to 6 months to rule but the benefits are retroactive to the original file date. I just filed in Dec and have only rec'd an acknowledgement of receipt so far. Hope this helps...Gail

By gailnpv on Jan 07, 2017 - 05:55 AM | Like (0)  |  Report

The above post should have said i was told by a VA rep on the telephone, to ALSO complete the need for attendance for 21-2680..but this might not be needed if you loved one is already in a facility. My mother is not but needs to be and she needs the extra income to afford any place.

It's want to confuse what was needed. I don't know where you live but the St. Petersburg Florida VA office was very helpful by phone. Your facility should also be able to assist you in this. Surely they have other residences receiving the survivor benefits. Gail

By mrice5486 on Jan 07, 2017 - 07:46 AM | Like (0)  |  Report

My husband was a WW 2 veteran and we were married 48 years when he died in 1998.
When inquiring with a local VSR at the Sacramento, VA as to if I would be illegible for AA if I should need it, I was told that I was not illegible because my husband did not have a pension connected to his service at the time of his death. . Is this correct? I question this answer. Please tell me if I am illegible !

By jmsrbrt on Jan 07, 2017 - 12:19 PM | Like (0)  |  Report

My father did not have a pension either. I think you got some bad info. Your husband had to serve at least one day during the time of WWII, and IT DID NOT have to be in combat. He could have been a desk clerk. Married to a woman more than 10 years, and she must have not remarried. Call again, and ask to speak to a supervisor.

By lindar120 on Jan 09, 2017 - 09:50 AM | Like (0)  |  Report

To receive the VA's Aid and Attendance benefits, aka the "widow's pension", you must indeed be an individual that needs caregiving aid & assistance to a certain degree. My stepdad, a 20 year Navy vet, died in 2009 and my mom did not qualify for any benefits until she suffered a major stroke and became wheelchair bound 5 years later. If you're receiving Aid & Attend benefits and financially need to become a Medicaid patient, then those benefits will be directed to your long term care facility, minus about $50 that you get as a monthly "allowance".

By jmsrbrt on Jan 09, 2017 - 02:57 PM | Like (0)  |  Report

If you are on MEDICAID you get a $60 allowance. If you have both Medicaid AND A&A you get a $150 allowance. ($60 plus $90). Basically this is your money being returned to you, after the government gets the majority or your income. Add in the fact that they could come after the estate of the deceased, to recover what they spent. But if you don't have that $5000/a month + for your loved one in a SNF or AL, it's still a good deal.

Add New Comment

Answer this question

Recently Active Members