Ask a Question

How can I take over as caregiver?

My mom lives with my sister and she gets every month 738 from SSI. My sister takes all her money and tells her she better not tell anybody or she will throw her out in the street. How can I take over?

Status: Open    Nov 01, 2016 - 12:14 PM

Elder Law

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 answers

Expert Answers

Nov 02, 2016 - 09:55 AM

The eaiser way would be to go with your mother to the Social Security office and ask to be made her payee. If your mother supports this it could be reasonably easy. The hard part is your sister would have every right to evict your mother for non-payment of rent.
The other option is file for guardianship/conservatorship. Even if your sister is appointed she will have to provide an accounting for everything.

Nov 10, 2016 - 08:42 AM

File for a "protective proceeding" in your local probate court. You could seek to be appointed as her guardian. Other options include contacting social security and your local department of Human Resources (to report elder abuse).
Answer this question

Recently Active Members