Ask a Question

My father revoked me as his POA, thinks I am stealing from him

My 94 yr. old father recently revoled me as his POA and removed me from his checking account because he thinks I have been stealing from him. He lives in an assisted living home. He is obsessed with the idea workers there are stealing from him. He has locks on everything. How & where do I get him help? Can't get him to his doctor, says he doesn't need to see the doctor. He is seldom happy anymore and I'm concerned he is going into depression.
Status: Open    Oct 30, 2016 - 05:49 PM


Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 answer

Expert Answers

Nov 02, 2016 - 09:01 AM

If you believe he is not capable making or communicating responsible decisions and which make him unable to manage his personal (health), property and business affairs effectively and that by reason of mental deficiency, physical illness or disability, physical or mental infirmities, you could/should file to be appointed his guardian/conservator. If he has been diagnosed with dementia, Alzheimer's or other cognitive impairments this should be successful. Advise his doctor of your plans and see if the doctor will send you or the probate judge a letter.
You can also speak to someone at the assisted living home to see if others believe he is not capeable of making good decisions. I strongly recommend that you seek the assitance of an elder law or probate attorney in your area.
This is a drastic measure and could harm your relationship with him. I would not recommend unless he needs medical attention but refuses to go or he does not pay his bills or gives away money.
Comments (1) | New Comment

By spoturica on Nov 07, 2016 - 10:00 AM | Like (0)  |  Report

I face a similar problem with my mother. Talk to his regular physician and see if you can arrange an appointment for a different reason (Flu or pneumonia shot?) so that the doctor can evaluate him and prescribe something. If the facility in which he lives doesn't already manage and administer his drugs you may want to see if that can be added on. My mother does very well on her drugs but if she forgets can go downhill quickly so having that handled by a nurse is key. Guardianship is possible but if you can handle it in another way you may be better off in the long run.

Add New Comment

Answer this question

Recently Active Members