Ask a Question

VA Aid & Assistance?

My Father served during the Vietnam War (although he was stationed in Germany, and did not actually see combat) from 1964-66. A little over 2 years ago, he received a back surgery (not related to his service) that was unsuccessful. He is now paraplegic and living in an Assisted Living Facility.

Is he entitled to receive VA Aid & Assistance (NOT heathcare) for paying caretakers' costs, which he requires 24/7?

Thank you,
Status: Open    Oct 25, 2016 - 11:48 AM

VA Benefits

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 answer

Expert Answers

Oct 31, 2016 - 06:32 AM


My guess is that he would be able to receive both (VA healthcare & Veterans Pension) if he so chooses to apply for the benefits. As long as his DD214 reflects honorable and is during the time period the VA has for Vietnam he has the basic critera comeple. From there he will need to qualify financially which is a combination of Assets, Income & Medical Expenses. Due to the fact that he needs the assistance of another person to perform daily living tasks should qualify him for the Aid & Attendance Portion of the Veterans Pension. Please keep in mind that the money he may receive from the VA may or may not cover all of his current caregiver/assisted living fees. The VA has caps on the pension awards to veterans. My recommendation would be to speak with a Veterans Service Officer near you. They provide assistance free of charge and you can find one in your state through the VA's website here: OGC - Accreditation Search My advice is to search by state and find one near you as exact city/zip code search does not always work.


Answer this question

Recently Active Members