Ask a Question

Mom receives SS and a pension but still has high living expenses

My mom gets $4200 monthly thru SS and a pension. Her assisted living facility costs $6200 monthly. Is there a way to get any help for these costs thru Medicaid?
Status: Open    Oct 18, 2016 - 05:01 PM

Finance, Medicare/Medicaid

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 answers

Expert Answers

Nov 02, 2016 - 03:49 PM

Some states provide a Medicaid benefit for assisted living facilities but many do not. Check with the facility. If it is available they will assist you. If it is available and she has assets of more than $15,000 seek help from an estate planning attorney in your area.

Nov 10, 2016 - 08:43 AM

It depends on the type of facility and the other assets your mother has in her name. Medicaid will typically cover nursing home stays, but will not pay for assisted living. In addition, there is a financial resources test (both income and assets). You may want to contact an elder law attorney in your area to see if and when your mother may be eligible for additional benefits.
Answer this question

Recently Active Members