Ask a Question

Can I get help paying bills if my mom goes in a nursing home?

My mom receives a Social Security check and city disability retirement. I am an adult who receives SSI disability. We share the bills equally(my mom owns the condo). But if the nursing home takes my mom's income, how will I pay the bills?
Status: Open    Sep 28, 2016 - 07:38 AM

Medicare/Medicaid, Finance

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 answer

Expert Answers

Oct 05, 2016 - 12:28 PM

You are in a tough situation. The good news first: because you are a disabled child you should be able to keep the home. She could deed it to you or she could deed it to someone else and allow you a life estate in the home. She could deed you the home and after Medicaid approval you could possibly sell the home and purchase a cheaper to operate, smaller home. You would have to be careful not to damage your status as and SSI recipeint. The bad news is your mother's income will all (less her personal allowance of $30 or other amount allowed by your state) go to the nursing home.
You really need to contact an elder law attorney in your area who handles Medicaid applications. There are many ways in which you could keep/own/receive the house. You need to do what is best for your particular situation and protects your SSI status.
Answer this question

Recently Active Members