Ask a Question

Is the Japanese American restitution Medicaid exempt?

My parents both received the Japanese American restitution for being placed in concentration camps during WWII. Is the money they received exempt for qualification for Medicaid?
Status: Open    Jun 06, 2016 - 10:54 AM


Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 answer

Expert Answers

Sep 01, 2016 - 08:24 AM

I know that this will not fully answer your question. However, I believe that this would be a good starting place for your research.

(f) Restitution to individuals of Japanese ancestry. Effective August 10, 1988, for the purposes of section 306 pension and parents’ death compensation, there shall be excluded from the corpus of estate or net worth of a claimant any payment made as restitution under Public Law 100-383 to individuals of Japanese ancestry who were interned, evacuated, or relocated during the period December 7, 1941, through June 30, 1946, pursuant to any law, Executive order, Presidential proclamation, directive, or other official action respecting these individuals. (Authority: Sec. 105, Pub. L. 100-383; 102 Stat. 905; Sec. 6, Pub. L. 102-371; 106 Stat. 1167, 1168)

Answer this question

Recently Active Members