Ask a Question

If dad has medicare does he need supplemental insurance?

Dad is 88, with dementia and in a locked memory care facility in FL. He has VA aid & attendance, social security and a very small pension. Is it neccessary to pay for his supplemental insurance? Money is getting tight
Status: Open    Jun 01, 2016 - 12:44 PM

Medicare/Medicaid

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 answers

Expert Answers

Jun 08, 2016 - 08:25 AM

I'm going to guess that he received the VA pension with the supplement insurance expense. So if you remove that expense it must be reported to the VA and they will adjust his medical expenses which could effectively reduce his pension payments. Although it may not depending on how much his medical expenses reduce his income for pension purposes. Also, has anything changed from when he first applied for the VA Pension, (i.e. is he getting the maximum amount of pension available)? You could also check in to what VA services may be available to him regarding health care to help reduce costs.

Jun 08, 2016 - 11:31 AM

Medicare Part B typically pays 80% of an enrolled senior's medical expenses after the $166 annual Part B deductible has been satisfied. The patient is responsible for the remaining 20% of the bill. Medicare supplemental insurance will pay various portions of the remaining 20% depending on which plan you are on. If your father were to were to run up any serious medical bills then the 20% for which he is responsible could easily be thousands, or tens of thousands, of dollars. I recommend that all seniors on Medicare have either supplemental insurance or a Medicare Advantage plan to protect themselves from the likely possibility of high out of pocket medical expenses.

Answer this question

Recently Active Members