Ask a Question

Are there apartments available with a nurse to monitor meds?

My mother overmedicates in a life threatening way. She won't let us monitor meds. She is on medicaid and needs professional supervision, but doesn't want to live in a nursing home.
Status: Open    Apr 13, 2016 - 07:53 AM

Senior Living Communities

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 answers

Expert Answers

Apr 28, 2016 - 11:29 AM

Will she allow a home health nurse to come in regularly to monitor her meds? Or an occupational therapist complete an evaulation to see what is the best way for your mom to manage her meds independently?

Another option is an automatic pill dispensing system that alerts, and distributes only medications that are due so she is not allowed to overdose and alert/notify you if medications were not taken. In some states, medicaid may pay for this monthly service if it can be medically justified and have a MD prescription.

Assisted living also allows people to live alone in their own apartment, but have supervision, meals made for them and medication management completed on site.

best of luck



Apr 16, 2016 - 05:19 AM

No. Not to my knowledge. It would be a very expensive set-up, and there are a number of other ways to accomplish this. The easiest and most inexpensive would be to ask the pharmacy for blister packs, which enables you to take the right meds at the right time.
Retirement homes do provide that service, of course, too. You may check with those, and, if you do not have the resources for that, you may look for other options. Depending on your location, home care is a very inexpensive option, as well.
Other options as well as living options you may find in "The Furture of the Retirement Home" by Ralph Villman


Answer this question

Recently Active Members