Ask a Question

Tax deduction for elderly home care and health expenses?

My sister and I live in California. Our mother (resident of San Juan, Puerto Rico) suffered stroke and fell in June 2015. Since then she has been bedridden and can't walk or talk much. Since September 2015, my sister and I decided to share the cost for her home health care and expenses. We had done this, and continue to do so at the present time.
Are we be able to claim any deduction for elderly care, even she lives in Puerto Rico in our 2015 taxes?

Thank you.
Status: Open    Apr 01, 2016 - 07:55 AM

Caregiving, Finance

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 answer

Expert Answers

Jun 06, 2016 - 07:16 AM

I would seek the advice of a CPA. I am unaware of any deduction for elder care expenses or health care expenses for another person. However, perhaps you can see if you could claim her as a dependence? If you provide the majority of her support you may be able to do so.

Answer this question

Recently Active Members