Ask a Question

How do I report misused funds by POA?

Who do I contact if a guardian is misusing funds from a retirement account as well as funds from the VA? My newphew & his wife have POA for my uncle but are purchasing things he will never need such as a swimming pool and an SUV. He uses a walker and cannot get in and out of the car and I have never seen him use the pool. They also added a room to the house so that another family member can move in to "help" my uncle.
Status: Open    Mar 20, 2016 - 11:08 PM

Elder Law

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 answer

Expert Answers

Mar 31, 2016 - 08:37 AM

Every state has a department of aging or something along those lines. Usually there is also an agency, often under the same umbrella, or sometimes through the state Attorney General's office, that is called Adult Protective Services which handles this type of issue. The names may be different, but every state has a way to address this kind of problem. There is a wealth of information on the NCEA website (National Council on Elder Abuse). You can also start by filing a police report.


Answer this question

Recently Active Members