Ask a Question

Are there senior living communities that have graduated care?

It seems like it night be ideal to be in a senior community with the opportunity to first live in independent living, then if the person needs more help to have assisted liviing in the same community (even if needing to change to a different apartment). And then if nursing care is needed have another section where nursing care can be provided.

Do these exist? How does one find them? Is there a name for this kind of senior housing?
Status: Open    Mar 21, 2016 - 09:02 AM

Senior Living Communities

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 answers

Expert Answers

Mar 23, 2016 - 11:01 AM

It does exist! There are plenty of options available that offer graduated care. Many monthly-rental communities offer independent living, assisted living, and memory care services. Operators of these communities vary in regard to how they provide services. In some communities a resident that moves into an apartment needing only independent living services can receive assisted living services in the same apartment if and when needed. Memory care services are always provided in a secured environment.

There are also Life Plan Communities (also known as CCRCs - Continuing Care Retirement Communities). These communities offer independent, assisted living, memory care, and skilled nursing. Typically, there is an entrance fee required at these communities.


Mar 28, 2016 - 01:10 PM

Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRC) are establishments that offer a range of living options from independent living, assisted living, to skilled nursing often times including dementia care. People who live in a community that does not offer rehabilitative/nursing/dementia services are sometimes asked to leave if their needs cannot be safely addressed. When considering a move to a community for people aged 55 and older, many people prefer a CCRC to avoid the possibility of having to move again if their needs increase. Most CCRCs require that you join when you are healthy, making it difficult to move to a CCRC if you become very ill and require permanent nursing support. For those individuals, a long term care facility (aka nursing home) would be the next best option.
Answer this question

Recently Active Members