Ask a Question

How do I find old service records for my dad?

He has been told by his doctor that he needs assisted living and he is agreeable but he is broke. The social worker at the rehab center told us to apply for VA assistance. Dad has no idea where his records are or his exact dates of service. I know he was overseas at the end of WWII but that is all I know.
Status: Open    Mar 03, 2016 - 07:48 AM

VA Benefits

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

5 answers

Expert Answers

Mar 07, 2016 - 08:33 PM

You will be able to find any past service record for your father from the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, Missouri. They should have your father's DD214(Discharge paperwork) for you to apply for VA benefits.


Mar 08, 2016 - 12:17 PM

You can go to and search for records request form 180. You can fill it out on line and submit it to the VA. Depending on how much information you have it should only take about 10 business days to receive a certified copy.

Mar 08, 2016 - 12:29 PM

In order to qualify for V.A. benefits, dad had to be in the military at least one day during war time and at 90 days overall. You can try to get his discharge papers by contacting the National Personnel Records Center (314) 801-0800.

Mar 08, 2016 - 02:12 PM

His service records should be on file with the National Archives. You can apply directly on line at There is no charge for making the request. Primarily the only difference in your making the request and our making the request for our clients is our ability to typically retrieve them quicker and you have someone to speak with in our office. Families filing directly on their own are instructed not to attempt contact or follow up with the National Archives for at least 90 days which can prove frustrating when timing is important.

Mar 09, 2016 - 09:12 AM

The National Archives has a website that can help with this very issue. Visit, and follow the links for "Request Military Service Records." There is a form you can complete, as well as some helpful FAQ sections regarding various ways to get a copy of your dad's dates of service.
Answer this question

Recently Active Members