Ask a Question

Are mileage and hotel costs related to caregiving tax deductible?

Mom has dementia and needed to be evaluated, hospitalized and then moved to a memory care facility. I made several trips from Colorado to Florida during her hospitilization and also had hotel expenses for the two weeks I was there while her house was being sold. Are there any deductions I can claim on my taxes?
Status: Open    Mar 03, 2016 - 01:49 PM

Elder Law, Finance

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 answer

Expert Answers

Mar 16, 2016 - 12:45 PM

I am not aware of any personal deductions for these types of expenses, but you may want to check with a tax adviser (such as a CPA). Depending on your mother's financial situation, you may want to have her reimburse you for some expenses. If she is in a position where she may need to "spend down" her assets in order to qualify for Medicaid, then reimbursing you for these expenses may be a good planning technique. You will want to consult a legal adviser to ensure any reimbursements would not jeopardize her eligibility for long-term care benefits.

Answer this question

Recently Active Members