Ask a Question

Can caregivers receive compensation when caring for a family member?

My dad lives with me and he has Alzheimer's, I am his legal caregiver.
Status: Open    Mar 03, 2016 - 07:36 AM

Caregiving, Finance

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 answers

Expert Answers

Mar 09, 2016 - 09:13 AM

Yes, you can potentially be compensated for the services you provide as a family caregiver.

- First, look for state programs that may offer pay. In some states, Medicaid has a "Cash and Counseling" program that will pay for some services, including caregiving by family members.

- If your dad served in the military, look into possibilities for compensation through the VA. The Veteran-Directed Home and Community Based Services program, as well as the Aid & Attendance program, can be used to pay family caregivers. Visit for more information.

- Another option is looking for potential tax breaks. If you meet various standards, such as paying at least half of your dad's yearly expenses, you may be able to claim your dad as a dependent on your tax return. Even if you can't claim your dad as a dependent, you may be able to deduct medical and dental expenses of his that you paid. Go to for more info.

- If your dad has long-term insurance that covers in-home care, this benefit could (in some cases) be used to pay you.

- Finally, you can always arrange for a contract or will arrangement whereby you will be paid for services provided or left a greater portion of your dad's estate upon his death. You would need to meet with your siblings and make sure the entire family is on board to avoid any nasty in-fighting during the probate process.

Comments (1) | New Comment

By pamblackwell366 on Mar 03, 2017 - 01:45 PM | Like (0)  |  Report

I was groundskeeper/caregiver for parents for about 3 years, received little pay. Am I entitled to any befits other then siblings

Add New Comment


Mar 06, 2016 - 03:31 AM

My mother inlaw is in a nursing home recieving physical therapy to regain strenght, and to walk again. She suffered a stroke and damaged her left leg and foot. She is doing very well as she has had 5 weeks of therapy so far. My mother in law wants to come home and the only home she has to come to is ours. I love her very much, she has been a part of my life for over 30 years. I am willing to give up my job to help take care of her. Is there some sort of compensation for me to take care of her as I do contribute to the house hold bills? She is 87 years old and has medicare but is in the process of getting medicaid.
Answer this question

Recently Active Members