Ask a Question

My 84-yr-old mom is widow of WWII vet, can she get money?

My mother is 84 years old and in declining health. My dad served in the Army in World War II; he died in 1987 and my mom hasn't ever gotten any benefits. But she has virtually no money to her name. She gets Social Security and my dad's pension each month, but it won't be enough for assisted living. Friends of mine have had their widowed moms get $ aid from the VA in similar situations, they've helped a great deal for their moms' assisted living. How do I do that, how do I make that happen--if that's possible? In both cases I heard, they got as much as $1,200 per month.

Thank you!!!!
Status: Open    Feb 01, 2016 - 09:40 AM

VA Benefits

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 answers

Expert Answers

Feb 01, 2016 - 10:29 AM

The US Department of Veterans Affairs’ Veteran’s Pension is used to assist low-income veterans and families that have high medical expenses in order to allow their assetsto stretch out and last longer before Medicaid can take effect. The basic eligibility is that Assets must be below $80,000, not counting the house they live in, unless it is s sold then the net profit become a countable asset. The VA then takes their annual income and subtracts the unreimbursed medical expenses, if the income then falls below the VA’s threshold the VA will make monthly payments to bring them up to that income level. Speaking with an accredidted veterans service officer will be your best bet to help you with the paperwork and getting everything done with your mother. You can find a VSO closest to you through the VA's website at: OGC - Accreditation Search

Comments (2) | New Comment

By jimi85na on Jul 01, 2016 - 11:06 AM | Like (0)  |  Report

Can my mother pay up front in the nursing until
Her assets get below 80,000, then apply for VA benefits??

By rilewis218 on Oct 08, 2016 - 09:40 AM | Like (0)  |  Report

We are both 92 yrs old and she lives with me for 7 yrs now. She is a veterans sprose of ww11 and I am ww11 veteran. I can not afford the 6000. Taxes with all the other payments. We live out always from towns about 8 miles. We have a maid that cleans and I get weekly meals if I go get once a week. I have had 2 hips replaced, left kidney removes, hernia patch, xxxx put in right shoulder, and have never received any money, now I have my eyes pricked every 7 weeks . We both have Medicare. What can we get to help take care of us.

Add New Comment


Apr 27, 2016 - 03:44 PM

The maximum available benefit for a surviving spouse for the non-service connected pension plus the special monthly benefit of aid and attendance is 1149/mth for 2016.
Answer this question

Recently Active Members