Ask a Question

How do you get help for an acquaintance who has no kin or friends?

How do you get help for an acquaintance with no kin or friends who has suspected early alzheimers? This is in Minneapolis, MN
Status: Open    Jan 26, 2016 - 07:23 AM


Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 answers

Expert Answers

Jan 26, 2016 - 08:33 AM

This is always a sad situation, however, every state has a department of public health and an ombudsman who can assist you with guardianship services. They, or an elder law attorney can provide services to you and the individual. What is needed, if that person is competent, is their permission for you to pursue this service. If they are not competent, then you are going to be more involved in attaining this assistance for them.

Jan 29, 2016 - 10:39 AM

The only name I would throw in the hat is a "Geriatric Care Manager." Information on individuals who can provide assistance to your acquaintance should be available through the local office on aging or through the state representatives listed above.

When it comes to extraordinary issues, don't be afraid to call the state. Those who work Senior Services tend to be empathetic and have the best interest of the senior in mind. Use them as a resource as much as you can.
Answer this question

Recently Active Members