Ask a Question

How do I cash checks after Dad's death?

My dad & had a shared checking account so that I could keep an eye on his finances. After his death the estate was settled quickly (I am an only child) so I removed his name from the checking account. I did not realize that there would be utilities and insurance refunds three months later. What do I do with these checks since he is no longer on my account?
Status: Open    Jan 09, 2016 - 09:28 PM

Finance, Elder Law

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

3 answers

Expert Answers

Jan 19, 2016 - 10:55 AM

You can deposit them to an Estate account. If you did not probate your father's will, you will need to do so in order to open the estate account.

Jan 19, 2016 - 11:29 AM

Checks with a deceased name must be deposited into an estate account, which can be opened with a probate court entry from the local probate court.

Jan 20, 2016 - 06:49 AM

It was great that you were able to assist your father. I am not sure about your statement "the estate was settled quickly." My guess is that you mean all his business was concluded but not that an administration was opened and closed in probate court in less than three months. That is how I will answer the question. The money is estate money. There is no person legally authorized to endose the checks for your father. You may have had power of attorney but that died when he did. It does not matter if his name is on the account or not. Those checks usually have "The estate of . . . " instead of just a name.

Most states have a small estate or summary distribution procedure that is much quicker and cheaper to take care of matters such as this. Check with a local probate attorney on this.

If an administration was opened and closed it probably can be reopened with little trouble.
Answer this question

Recently Active Members