Ask a Question

How do you move a dementia patient from one state to another?

My 90 year old cousin is in assisted living in Florida and was just diagnosed with dementia, she wants to move back home to Nebraska to be closer to family. Do we have to notify her doctor or get a lawyer involved?
Status: Open    Dec 09, 2015 - 03:10 AM

Dementia, Elder Law

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 answer


Dec 13, 2015 - 10:45 AM

If she has expressed a desire to move back to where she has family and this is something that is possible now is the best time to do it. As she declines she will be more resistant to a move and it will take her longer to adjust to a move.
She will have to get a new doctor when she gets settled. Make sure all the papers are signed so the doctor she currently has can transfer her medical records to the new doctor.
I doubt that a lawyer would have to get involved unless POA for medical and finances are in Florida and it would be best if all the POA's are close.
Answer this question

Other Questions Needing Answers

Recently Active Members