Ask a Question

What is Medicaid spousal poverty law how do I get it?

My husband is in a nursing home with dementia and a friend said to check it out and that it might allow me to keep my home instead of having to give it to the government
Status: Open    Dec 09, 2015 - 02:02 AM


Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 answers

Expert Answers

Dec 15, 2015 - 10:19 AM

You need to speak with an Elder Law Attorney in your local area. Medicaid is very complex, and mistakes in planning can be very expensive. Make sure that the lawyer is a member of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys.

Jan 06, 2016 - 07:32 AM

Medicaid varies some from state to state. I beleive all states allow the community spouse (you) to retain the home. It is possible he could deed you his interest in the home without penalty from Medicaid. You should meet with an attorney who is familiar with Medicaid applications in your area.
Answer this question

Recently Active Members