Ask a Question

Are there benefits for the disabled child of an elderly vet?

My father-in-law is an elderly (96) veteran who lives with his disabled son (55). What benefits are available for his son, now and after my father-in-law passes?
Status: Open    Nov 19, 2015 - 07:48 AM

Relationships, VA Benefits

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 answers

Expert Answers

Nov 23, 2015 - 08:43 AM

Unfortunately there are no benefits that would continue after your Father-in-Law passes. However, you may apply for the VA Veterans Pension for your Father-in-Law and his son may qualify as a dependent. You should speak to a local veterans service officer in your area to see if there are any state benefits that may be able to assist.

Dec 01, 2015 - 09:06 AM

Based upon the assets of the father, you may need to look into the creation of a Special Needs Trust for the disabled son. This could enable him to receive benefits without being denied due to an inheritance. Please speak with an Elder Law attorney.
Answer this question

Recently Active Members