Ask a Question

How do I get paid to be my husband's caregiver?

He has had a stroke and I feel I am better off watching him.He doesnt want other people by him.He only wants me
Status: Open    Nov 18, 2015 - 08:16 AM

Caregiving, Finance

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 answers

Expert Answers

Nov 18, 2015 - 08:31 AM

You don't say WHY you want to be paid to be his caregiver. You can certainly use any of your joint funds as you need to for your own support and no one can question your decision. If you are trying to qualify for a VA benefit or Medicaid, they can object to you paying yourself because you are not independent from him. Your child could be paid or a stranger could be paid but you cannot. Please elaborate on why you are asking the question.

Nov 18, 2015 - 10:31 AM

No doubt that he would prefer to have you be his caregiver and you can certainly be actively involved in meeting his needs. However when it comes to the VA Benefit Pension plus Aid and Attendance, spousal care will not qualify as a deductible medical expense. One of the many steps for qualifying is evidence that funds being paid for care are leaving the veteran couple’s account and being paid to a caregiver. In your situation the funds would not be leaving your accounts but “looping” within the same accounts that you as a couple own. When you are married the VA views the couple as a unit of one. All income and expenses are counted for both of you. To access the benefit you will need to consider paying an outside caregiver. This can be another family member, a home care agency or a care community setting but you are unable to pay your spouse for care and use those as deductible medical expenses to qualify for Pension plus Aid and Attendance.
Answer this question

Recently Active Members