Ask a Question

Are there places where spouses can live together?

My Dad has dementia and my mom is fine, but would like to be with him, and he seems so unhappy in the current assistant living facility. He only wants to be with her. Are there places that would allow them to live together in the same unit? My dad needs more care than my mom is able to provide. It worrys me that she will hurt herself trying to help him.
Status: Open    Oct 09, 2015 - 09:49 AM

Dementia, Senior Living Communities

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 answers


Oct 11, 2015 - 11:17 AM

Here in Arizona I have found several memory care facilities that will allow them to stay together. The rooms are smaller but there are still one bedroom apartments. The rule I have been told is you go to the facility where the person who needs the most care needs to be. You'll have to check it ourt in your state but I would assume you find it. Also check residential group homes.
Comments (2) | New Comment

By ngp1952 on Oct 31, 2016 - 01:27 PM | Like (0)  |  Report

I found one here in Fort Myers, FL, several in fact. We chose one that we will probably move to when I need more help caring for my husband. They are expensive however. Has anyone had success getting VA benefits with Aid and Assistance?

By adams3036 on Dec 19, 2016 - 05:14 PM | Like (0)  |  Report

Are there any in Southern California? Same situation where they want to be together and one spouse is fine and the other has Alzheimer's?

Add New Comment

Oct 18, 2015 - 10:11 AM

Many Retirement communities have Facilities for Active Adults as well as Assisted Living and Memory care.
It is possible that the Assisted living would accept your Mom as well as your Dad you could even check to find out if a unit were taken in the retirement community could your Mom get help from someone, or could she bring your Dad to the Assisted living or Memory care area if she wanted to go out for the day. The facitlity where I had my husband for day stays would take residents from the other part of the building if the spouse went out for the day.
Call around and ask and go on a tour.
Check the Senior Housing on this site for the area you live.
Answer this question

Recently Active Members