Ask a Question

Should my sister be using father's checking account to pay her own bills?

Can I report her to authorities or does my father have to?
Status: Open    Oct 05, 2015 - 07:28 AM

Relationships, Elder Law

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 answers

Expert Answers

Oct 07, 2015 - 08:32 AM

No sister should not be paying bills out of dads account. If you suspect it, certainly you can report her to the authorities.

Oct 07, 2015 - 12:00 PM

Is your father competent? Is he living with her? Is she providing caretaker services for him? It is really hard to answer this question without more information. If he is living with her and she uses his money to pay utility bills it is probably OK. If he is competent he can give her money if he wishes, it may not be a good idea but he can. If he is not competent and you believe she is exploiting him you can report to your local adult protection agency, DHR, DFAS, DHHR, etc. or law enforcement. You can also file in probate court to have a guardian and conservator appointed for your father. Even if your sister is appointed conservator she will have to account to the court for what and how she spends money.
Answer this question

Recently Active Members