Ask a Question

Can my mom get VA assistance if my dad is deceased?

My dad is deceased for 4 years. He was a WWII veteran who never claimed anything from the VA. My mom is in assisted living and her money is being quickly depleted. We need help for her. She is 94. Thank you.
Status: Open    Sep 21, 2015 - 08:11 AM

VA Benefits

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 answer

Expert Answers

Sep 21, 2015 - 08:18 AM

Yes, your mother can apply for the VA Survivor's Pension and being that she is in an assisted living facility should should also claim for benefits under the Aid & Attendance Program under that same pension. The general service requirements are: The veteran must have served during a period of war as prescribed by Congress and be Honorably discharged. The Income/Asset requirements are: Typically less than 80k in assets not couting a primary residence (unless the primary home is sold then the proceeds are a countable asset). The VA will then look at her monthly income and monthly medical expenses. After that if she falls under the VA threshold for a Survivor's Pension with Aid and Attendance the VA will make up that difference over 12 monthly payments. I encourage you to get some assistance with filling out the paperwork as it can be somewhat confusing. You can find an accredidted Veterans Service Officer near you through the VA website at:

Any Accredidted Veterans Service Officer provides the preparation of this paperwork at no cost, any fees associated in preparing these forms is against federal law.
Comments (1) | New Comment

By laney57 on Jun 09, 2016 - 07:01 PM | Like (0)  |  Report

my mother gets a pension from my father. the money goes to pay for assistant living. her he medicine is over 500.00 a month, can I get any help from the va for her medicine

Add New Comment

Answer this question

Recently Active Members