Ask a Question

How can I get a volunteer to help my elderly mom?

I am looking for a live in volunteer to help me and my mom and out everyday tasks. I work from 8 to 4 and mom does not have anyone to care for her, this individual can stay as long as they like they can live in free roam free board and I will accommodate them with some funds for their time and help. Do you know any agency that will help me with my needs?
Status: Open    Sep 18, 2015 - 07:33 AM


Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

3 answers


Sep 27, 2015 - 08:51 AM

I will offer a suggestion however know that I'm not a professional in the field, just someone with a contribution. Is there a college anywhere near where you live. It could be a junior college or four year school. If so, visit their administrative offices/counseling center to inquire if they would post a notice on the jobs bulletin board for a volunteer who needs accommodations and a small stipend in return for assisting you and your mom. The student would attend classes however classes are not usually five days a week, 8 hours per day. They may have zero classes one or two days a week and some days classes for only four hours per day. This type of schedule might work for you and your mom if you can be flexible/accommodating. Have you also thought about signing up your mom for the Meal on Wheels Program that most communities now have. There is often a waiting list but eventually they will have an opening. Talk to your friends and co-workers for their input also. Ideas/referrals from friends is a better way to go versus running an ad in the newspaper, which I consider risky in the day and age in which we live. I hope these suggestions help. Something is bound to turn up if you pursue every lead.

Sep 27, 2015 - 08:51 AM

I doubt you will get a "volunteer" to work from 8 to 4
Even a live in that would get room and board needs to get paid.
There are some senior service agencies that have volunteers that will come on occasion to help with things or run errands or stay while you run out.
Some church groups may also do the same.
You might want to look into Adult Day Care options.

Sep 28, 2015 - 05:18 AM

Each state has a department of aging, which depending on where you live should have Area Agencies on Aging. Usually they are in the county where you live. You should be able to contact your local Area Ageny on Aging and they may be able to assist you with finding daily in home care.
Answer this question

Recently Active Members