Ask a Question

Is a Public Health Service officer eligible for VA Aid & Assistance?

PHS is an uniformed service so he never went to war. He retired 1/1/1990 (just before the Gulf War started).He's never used any VA benefits. He has back & dementia problems and needs assistance with ADL's and we have a home health aide most of the time.
Status: Open    Sep 11, 2015 - 02:08 PM

VA Benefits

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 answers

Expert Answers

Sep 14, 2015 - 08:18 AM

He would still need to qualify through service during a Congressional prescribed period of war. If he was in the PHS during the Vietnam Era [even though he did not service in a combat zone] then he may have qualifying service for the purposes of pension. My best recommendation is to contact the VA Hospital or Clinic nearest you to see if he would be eligible for VA Healthcare. From there once he gets established work with his Primary Care Doctor to see if you can received home health care benefits through the VA.


Sep 13, 2015 - 08:38 AM

Contact the VA directly and ask them. They are the best ones to answer this specific to his situation.
Each town has a USO (uniformed service officer) to help veterans and their caregivers through the process. Hope he can get some assistance.


Answer this question

Other Questions Needing Answers

Recently Active Members