Ask a Question

How do I get in home care help from the Veterans Administration?

Status: Open    Sep 01, 2015 - 08:01 AM


Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

3 answers

Expert Answers

Sep 02, 2015 - 09:14 AM

The best and usually quickest option is to get enrolled in VA Healthcare if you are currently not. From there talk to your assigned Primary Care Physician and tell them you require assistance with your ADLs. The PCP can then write a "presciption" for in home care depending on your spcific needs.

Depending on when you served there could also be additional benefits available to you. Contact a Veterans Service Officer near you. You can find a local VSO Representative through the VA's website at:

Sep 03, 2015 - 01:54 PM

Two programs which provide home care to veterans are the Homemaker and Home Health Aide Program and the Aid and Attendance Program.

The Homemaker and Home Health Aide Program is run through the Veterans Health Administration (VHA) and provides veterans with assistance with the activities of daily living including personal care needs. The veteran must be enrolled with the VA and seeing a VA physician in order to obtain this benefit. Home care will need to be authorized by the physician. If not enrolled with the VA, the veteran must apply by completing a 10-10EZ form. This form can be accessed by calling the Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-877-222-VETS (8387) and requesting a copy. It is important to note that funds and waiting periods for this program will vary from state to state.

The Aid and Attendance Program is run through the Veterans Benefit Administration (VBA). Aid and Attendance is an underused pension benefit that provides money to veterans and their surviving spouses for home care. Veterans must qualify both medically and financially for this benefit. Veterans must apply for this benefit and the application process can be quite lengthy. Many local VA offices have accredited benefit counselors known as Veteran Service Officers who can assist with the application process. There are also organizations that can help veterans qualify for the Aid and Attendance benefit by providing assistance with the application process and following up with the VA during the claim review process.


Sep 10, 2015 - 09:14 AM

A Veteran or the surviving spouse of a Veteran may be able to receive a pension to help with healthcare costs, such as in-home care. I recommend viewing the VA’s webpage regarding this benefit at for more information. You may also want to seek assistance from a local VA Accredited Representative, which you can search for here: The VA may provide free in-home health care services for certain Veterans and family members. Again, you should seek assistance from a local Accredited Representative, VSO Representative or benefits office, which you can find here: or by calling 1-800-827-1000.
Answer this question

Recently Active Members