Ask a Question

What type of assistance can a non-wartime vet receive?

My husband served 5 years in the Navy, but not during a war. Is he eligible for any VA assistance? He has dementia.
Status: Open    Aug 24, 2015 - 08:56 AM

VA Benefits

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 answer

Expert Answers

Aug 24, 2015 - 11:57 AM

Good afternoon,

Your best bet is to get your husband enrolled in VA Healthcare at your local VA Medical Center or Community Based Outpaitent Clinic. From there once he is established in VA Health you can work with his primary care doctor to see what types of caretaker services and other medical benefits would be available to him. But unfortunately, due to him not serving in one of the VA's wartime eras he would not be eligible for any of the Non-service Connected Pension programs. Additionally, you should seek out a local veterans service officer to sit down and talk about any other potential benefits that may available in your state. You can local a VSO near you through the VA website at : Check VSO Representative.
Comments (1) | New Comment

By bigiron99 on Feb 08, 2017 - 12:18 PM | Like (0)  |  Report

I am a Navy veteran of 6 yrs., 12/59-12/65, served active 3/60-8/63 on aircraft boots-on-ground combat...we were patrolling in the South China Sea as crisis and strife mounted both in Laos and in South Vietnam. I am under healthcare from the VA for diabetes, heart and blood pressure. I am 75 yr old, widowed, live in rental house, have no real assets other than financed auto and some household on a fixed income (SS only). What assistance is there available for me, for independent or assisted living?

Add New Comment

Answer this question

Recently Active Members