Ask a Question

Are there VA benefits which will assist with non medical homecare?

My mom is 85 years young and low income relying just on Social Security. She has no savings. She would qualify for VA benefits from her deceased husband, but has not applied. She has looked into some options, but would prefer to stay in her low income apartment where she lives now.
She is beginning to need help with cleaning, getting to appointments and possibly meds. Are there any programs through the VA that would allow her to have help with those needs?

I would need to have you talk to her to give you income and dates for qualifications. But we do know she would qualify.

Also can she apply for VA benefits now so if the need arrives for assisted living arises, she is prepared?
Status: Open    Aug 21, 2015 - 08:56 AM

VA Benefits

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 answers

Expert Answers

Aug 21, 2015 - 09:37 AM

Yes she should file as soon as she is able. She would be able to use the money, if and when granted, for the cost of a caretaker. The care taker would also qualify as a deductible medical expense for VA purposes. She would most likely not qualify for the Aid and Attendance portion of the pension but would be able to claim Homebound benefits under the program.
Once she moved into an assisted living facility she would just have to then report the change in medical expenses to the VA and they would adjust the pension accordingly.

Oct 28, 2015 - 01:50 PM

38 CFR 3.351 Is "permanently housebound" by reason of disability or disabilities. This requirement is met when the veteran or surviving spouse is substantially confined to his or her dwelling and the immediate premises or, if institutionalized, to the ward or clinical area, and it is reasonably certain that the disability or disabilities and resultant confinement will continue throughout his or her lifetime.
Answer this question

Recently Active Members