Ask a Question

My elderly mom has dementia but needs home care that takes Medicare, who can help?

My mom is 82 has only Medicare, she is getting really bad with her dementia. How can I get her help without having to spend down her money. Get her help to stay at home? We have a Private pay Cargiver now, but mom is worried about her money and she has too much money in her Account to get additional help. Swirca has mom on a waiting list, but she is getting worse and I don't know where to turn to get her more help. I am POA over her, is there anything I can so with the Social Security Division to see about putting her on Medicaid without taking all her money first?

I need help bad, she is getting very unbalanced, etc. I got to do somehting and feel like I am chasing my tail.

Can someone come out and assest her to see how bad she is geting. My mom told me many years ago to keep her at home as long as I can, and trying to respect her wishes.

Please adivise with any, any information, I would be so blessed.

God Bless,
Status: Open    Jul 22, 2015 - 10:57 AM

Medicare/Medicaid, Dementia

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 answers


Jul 24, 2015 - 11:32 AM

Your local Area Agency on Aging is a great start to understand what resources are available in your immediate area and if/what your mom may qualify for based on her financial situation. You can find your local office here:

Contacting an A Place for Mom advisor in your area at (866) 568-2989 may also help you better understand what options may be available. The advisors are quite knowledgable about their area.

This link also helps a family understand some of the basic components of both Medicare and Medicaid. Medicare is a healthCARE insurance, Medicaid is financial aid. The think to keep in mind is eligibility for the Medicaid program is your state is means-based, and the program has strict income eligibility requirements that differ from one state to the next. It's a good idea to ask questions again, at your local Area Agency on Aging.

Comments (1) | New Comment

By darleneayers3 on Jul 21, 2016 - 10:08 PM | Like (0)  |  Report

Hi Drawlins,

Hope you mom is doing well. i would like to suggests you where you can consult for medicare and medigap plans. It will help you.

Add New Comment

Sep 04, 2015 - 05:34 PM

Where can I found a list for Medicare for my husband in Flagler Beach FL 32136,that's by Ormand Beach FL.


Answer this question

Recently Active Members