Ask a Question

What is the proof required for Medicaid's child caregiver exemption?

My parents live in NJ in their own home but I've owned their home for the past 2 years. My father has Alzheimer's and it's getting worse. My mother and myself have been taking care of him for the past couple of years so far. I have my own family as well in another home I own jointly with my wife about 1/2 hr away. However I have been going back and forth between homes for that length of time, but basically staying most of the weekdays with them going to and from work. Weekends and some weeknights we spend all together as a large family... I pay for all their bills, groceries, property taxes, etc.. they have no other assets and fall well below medicaid asset, income limits.

If we want to file for medicaid for my father, I know they have a child caregiver exemption and their lookback is 2 yrs. Otherwise it's 5 yrs. My question is, how do I prove to medicaid that I was living with them for the past 2 years? Their doctor already has given me a letter stating I was taking care of him and living at their home.. is that enough? or must I have affidavits from their neighbor or change my drivers license, etc...

Status: Open    Jul 07, 2015 - 05:39 PM

Medicare/Medicaid, Caregiving

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 answers

Expert Answers

Sep 16, 2015 - 09:32 AM

Federal law allows for the transfer of a home to a caregiver child without causing a period of ineligibility for the transfer of such property. The Federal law is fairly vague, and your state may have additional guidelines on the requirements for this exception. You should consult with an elder law attorney in your state, as there are numerous factors that impact this transfer of property.

Comments (1) | New Comment

By sonirue on Oct 21, 2016 - 10:11 AM | Like (0)  |  Report

What if I don't have my own home and have lived with my father and mother (whom is now deceased. It will be 6 years in December). But have lived there taking care of him for the past 10 years. How do I get things transferred over and dad not get penalized for trying to get Medicaid?

Add New Comment

Apr 19, 2016 - 08:58 AM

You are going to need a couple more things to prove that you acted as caregiver for your father during the last two years. The Medicaid Child Caregiver Exemption generally requires the following proof of documentation:

1. Doctor’s letter.
2. Your proof of address-to qualify for the exemption, you are required to have lived in your father’s home for the past two years. The fact that you have your own home and spent part of the time there may pose an issue.
3. Birth certificate-if you don’t have the same last name as your father, in order to prove relationship.

Medicaid may also ask for the past two years of medical records and tax returns. You may run into an issue here, as well, since you worked during the past two years. Generally, the exemption disallows any occupation other than acting as caregiver for the parent.


Comments (1) | New Comment

By tamardfr on Jul 12, 2016 - 04:11 PM | Like (0)  |  Report


If transfer was done legally to adult child caregiver, can that child then charge the parent rent? Will Medicaid allow this? If yes, can the rent be paid from the QIT?

Thank you in advance

Add New Comment

Answer this question

Recently Active Members